Fig. 1 TL431A pin out block diagram.
TL431 Precision Voltage Regulator Circuits
by Lewis Loflin
Here we will explore the TL431 with 2 NPN transistors forming a Precision High-Current Series Regulator. This is a tested variation taken from the TL431 spec sheet. This is known as a series-pass regulator.
In simple terms the TL431A acts a temperature compensated variable/adjustable Zener diode. It can also act as a voltage reference. In addition to good temperature compensation and stability, the TL431A has a voltage range of 2.5 volts to 36 volts and a current range from 1mA to 100mA.
For basic information on the TL431 see Experiments with TL431A Shunt Regulator
Fig. 2 TL431 precision current regulator circuit.
Fig. 2 illustrates the working circuit as seen in the video. The TL431 has an advantage over a plain Zener diode is feedback through the Ref pin. The 100K potentiometer (R1) and R2 create a small current to Ref that controls Ik cathode current. Ik determined the voltage drop across a 680 resistor that through Q1 and Q2 determines the output current.
The Darlington configuration of Q1 and Q2 produces high current gain for Vo. When operating with a 10 ohm resistor from Vo to ground a continuous 0.5 amp output produces a 5-volt output. Any variation in input voltage (16V) or load current the feedback to Ref will change Ik to compensate.
Transistor Q2 will get hot and must be heat-sinked. The transistors in the test circuit in the video are TIP41s.
This produced a stable output voltage-current due to the low temperature drift of the TL431.
- Experiments with TL431 Shunt Regulator
- TL431A Precision Current Regulator Circuits
- TL431A Based Current Limiter Constant Current Source Circuits
- TL431A Shunt Regulator Circuits
- Arduino Measures Current from Constant Current Source
- Constant Current Source Theory Testing
- Arduino Controlled Power Constant Current Source
- LM317 Adjustable Voltage, Current Boost Power Supply
- Constant Current Circuits LM334, LM317
- Build LM317 0-34 Volt Power Supply
- LM334 Constant Current Source with Resistive Sensors
- LM317 High Power Constant Current Source Circuit
- LM317 Constant Current Source Circuits
- Test SCRs and Triacs
- Basic MOSFET Transistor Test Circuits
- High Voltage MOSFET Switching Circuits
- 3 Amp LM741 Op-Amp Constant Current Source
- Current Limiter Testing of Zener Diodes
- Current Limiter for Opto-Coupler Inputs
- LM317 CCS for Light Emitting Diodes
- Hall Effect Magnetic Switches and Sensors
- Comparator Theory Circuits Tutorial
- ULN2003A Darlington Transistor Array with Circuit Examples
- Transistor-Zener Diode Regulator Circuits
- AC Power Supply Rectification
- Coils for Highly Selective Crystal Radio
- Neon (NE-2) Circuits You Can Build
- Photodiode Circuits Operation and Uses
- Photodiode Op-Amp Circuits Tutorial
Web site Copyright Lewis Loflin, All rights reserved.
If using this material on another site, please provide a link back to my site.