Live Linux Distro for Using Printer Port with Electronics
(Above) Openbox Desktop with Rox-Filer Icon Bar and XFCE4 Panel.
This is a "LIVE" Linux distro that requires no installation!
Light weight distro for use on older machines or new.
Requires 512K RAM and 1 Gig. Processor - can work on less but slow. Flawless with 512K and 1600mHz Sampron with old AOpen board. Low RAM usage - often under 100 meg.
Debian based system that's easy to upgrade or add additional programs - based on Wheezy.
Download pport-1.0.iso from Sourceforge.com then burn to DVD (file size 920 meg.), insert into DVD drive and reboot. Make sure PC is set to boot from DVD ROM.
This is pre-configured by myself to use Python to control the printer port. Python can be run from IDLE or Geany.
All of my PPORT electronics projects will work without installation to a PC.
Programs can be saved to thumb drive in LIVE mode.
This can be installed to a PC if desired. Right click and open the Openbox menu, go down to System Tools, then click on Install wattOS.
This includes two desktops: Openbox and JWM controlled by lightdm - doesn't use .xinitrc.
Openbox uses the XFCE4 Panel or tint2. (Use only one!) Also can use the Rox Panel and/or Rox Pinboard. View screenshot using Rox panel and XFCE4 panel.
Use JWM with Rox Pinboard only. View screenshot.
Boots to Openbox Tint2. Log out then select JWM log back in. User name lewis PW lewis.
SUDO already set to keep from having to give password. Also great for learning Linux.
Based on modified WattOS - http://www.planetwatt.com/
File managers: added Rox-Filer and Thunar - removed pcmanfm This includes the Rox Pinboard for fast and versatile icon placement. Pinboard can be cut on-off under menu control.
Terminals: added Lxterminal and Rox terminal - both with cut-paste, etc.
Shells: bash, dash, sh
Programming: Python 2.7, Python 3.3, C, Geany, Idle, Beaver, etc.
Will program Arduino - version 1.0.1. Note: never tested on live setup but works fine installed. Will auto-detect USB.
Multimedia: VLC media player, added XMMS audio player, both "drop and drag" plus Zmixer, AlsaMixer, and Pulse Audio volume controls and (if installed to a fast machine) Record My Desktop.
Zmixer was compiled by me and isn't in Debian repositories. Same is true of Beaver and Viewnior.
Debian packages also available from website for download for use on other Debian based distributions. To install in a terminal after download:
lou@box$ sudo dpkg -i package_name.deb
Text editors: Nano, Leafpad, Beaver, Geany. Nano is terminal only - useful if X11 video fails.
Internet: Qupzilla, Dillo
Office: Abiword similar to Microsoft Word, added Foxit Reader for PDF files.
Graphics: Viewnior, FEH for wallpaper setter - removed gpicview.
Viewnior is a great but light weight image viewer for most file types.
Use XRANDR to change display resolution. Type xrandr then enter to see resolutions available. Then select desired resolution. Caution: selecting non-standard resolution will play chaos with display and could damage older monitors! Ex:
lou@box$ xrandr -s 1024x768
FEH is a command line image viewer and wallpaper program. Ex:
lou@box$ feh --bg-scale '/usr/local/backgrounds/spring.jpg'
Creates hidden file .fehbg in home directory - can be executed in a shell such as sh:
sh ~/.fehbg &
Extras: Watsup for system stats with the ability to terminate running programs.
Connecting PC Printer Port to External Electronics
Below are listed a series of projects using pyparallel and electronics. We will use a common PC printer port to learn basic python and electronics interfacing. Starting with routines I wrote to aid students I'd advise walking through this in sequence. Have fun and send comments and/or corrections to email@example.com.
If using the above bootable DVD it's setup to start interfacing the PC printer port.
- Introduction to Python Bitwise Operations
- Python Bitwise Operations by Example
- Using the PC Printer Port series:
- Programming the PC Printer Port in Python
- Additional Commands for Py-Parallel
- Controlling Data Bits on the PC Parallel Port
- Connecting Switches to the PC Printer Port with Python
- Reading an Analog Voltage Through the PC Printer Port Part 1
- Reading an Analog Voltage Through the PC Printer Port Part 2
- Controlling a Serial LCD Display on a PC Printer Port with Python
- Serial ADC and LCD Display with PC Printer Port with Python
- Controlling MAX7219 LED Display with PC Printer Port with Python
- MAX7219 8-Digit LED Display and Serial ADC in Python
- Project pages:
- Part 1: Read Arduino with PC Printer Port
- Part 2: Better way to Read Arduino Through the PC Printer Port
- Part 3: Read-Write an Arduino Through a PC Printer Port
- Part 4: Control LCD Display and Arduino from the PC Printer Port
Connect Electronics to PC printer Port with Python
Setup PC Printer Port with Python-Linux
Use PC Printer Port to Read Analog Voltage
Read-Write Arduino ADC PWN with Printer Port
Printer Port to Serial LCD Display
Connect Arduino to PC Printer Port for advanced control
- Added Nov. 16, 2014
- ULN2003A Darlington Transistor Array with Circuit Examples
- Tutorial Using TIP120 and TIP125 Power Darlington Transistors
- Driving 2N3055-MJ2955 Power Transistors with Darlington Transistors
- Understanding Bipolar Transistor Switches
- N-Channel Power MOSFET Switching Tutorial
- P-Channel Power MOSFET Switch Tutorial
- H-Bridge Motor Control with Power MOSFETS
- More Power MOSFET H-Bridge Circuit Examples
- Build a High Power Transistor H-Bridge Motor Control
- New YouTube Videos Nov. 2014
- View all of my You Tube Videos
- Using the ULN2003A Transistor Array with Arduino
- Using the TIP120 & TIP120 Darlington Transistors with Arduino
- Using Power MOSFETS with Arduino
- Using PNP Bipolar Transistors with Arduino, PIC
- Using NPN Bipolar Transistors with Arduino, PIC
- How to build a Transistor H-Bridge for Arduino, PIC
- Build a Power MOSFET H-Bridge for Arduino, PIC
- Solar Panel Charge Controller Using Arduino Microcontroller
- Solar Panel Charge Controller Using PICAXE Microcontroller
- Quick navigation main page:
- Arduino Microcontroller Projects
- General Electronics Learning and Projects
- Raspberry Pi and Linux
- Connecting a PC Printer Port to Electronics with Python
- Microchip PIC 18F2550
- PICAXE Microcontroller
- Gen. Electronics
- My YouTube Channel
- Raspberry Pi & Linux
- Arduino Projects
- PIC18F2550 in C++
- PIC16F628A in Assembly
- PICAXE Projects
- Web Master
- Bristol VA/TN
- US Constitution
- Religious Themes 1
- Religious Themes 2